National Youth Leadership Training – COURSE Option 5
August 11 @ 7:00 pm - August 16 @ 7:00 pm| $325
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is a five-day premier youth leadership training course for Scouts and Venturers. NYLT offers an exciting, action-based program designed to provide youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
COURSE Option 5
August 11 – 16, 2019
NYLT Eligibility Requirements
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- All participants must be at least 13 years old there cannot be any exceptions. (Note: Recommended minimum age is 14)
- Scouts (in Troops) must have earned their First Class rank. For 2019 only, an exception will be granted for girls registered in Scouts BSA to attend NYLT without first achieving the First Class rank.
- Complete their home Unit’s Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops course.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of the camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have a basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation. Unit leaders are asked to complete a survey on the participant’s scout character and scout skills so the NYLT staff can better prepare for the course.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW, and what a leader must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership. These learning objectives are integrated with those of Wood Badge, so troops that send Scouts to NYLT and adults to Wood Badge will find they work better together because they’ve learned similar concepts and leadership skills.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
At the time of reservation: $10.00 non-refundable deposit due.
March 1, 2019: Commitment payment of $65.00 due.
May 1, 2019: Final payment due
NYLT Unit Scholarship Details
1. The first two Scoutmaster-approved youth signed up for NYLT in each Scout unit will receive a $125.00 scholarship. Scoutmasters may submit their approval to Carrie Hutchcraft at email@example.com.
2. This scholarship applies to the first two youth only and cannot be spread across multiple reservations. The NYLT scholarship is for Cascade Pacific Council youth only.
3. Scholarships are applied after the initial registration is made.
4. If a Scout that has received a scholarship cannot attend, the scholarship will pass to the next approved scout in the unit registered (if applies). Non-refundable fees will follow the same schedule as outlined in the refund policy.
5. This scholarship may not be combined with the NYLT Girls Scholarship.
NYLT Girls Scholarship
As we enter this new chapter in the Boy Scouts of America, Cascade Pacific Council is excited to announce that there are still $250 scholarships available for girls attending National Youth Leadership Training this summer in 2019. Please see the eligibility requirements above. This scholarship may not be combined with the NYLT Unit Scholarship. Scholarships will be applied after the reservation is made.