Frequently Asked Questions2019-07-18T16:18:53-08:00

Frequently Asked Questions

Let us help answer your questions about Scout camp. Find answers to the questions most frequently asked by Scouts and Scouters.

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for, we’re here to help! Contact us at info@cpcbsa.org.

FAQs – Summer Camp Fees

Planning and purchasing camp reservations happens long before camp begins.  Consequently, the need for refunds does arise from time-to-time and refunds are therefore made as follows:

  • Cancellations on or before May 1st: all fees paid are transferable within the reservation. If the entire unit reservation is cancelled, the $10.00 deposit per Scout is forfeited.
  • Cancellations between May 1st and two weeks prior to camp: a refund of all fees paid, less $75.00 per Scout ($25.00 for day camps), is made.
  • Within two weeks of camp, no refunds are made unless the Scout in question finds himself in one of these circumstances:
    a) his family moves out of council due to an unforeseen situation.
    b) there is a death or serious illness in his immediate family requiring his attendance.
    c) he himself becomes ill and unable to attend camp.  Last minute cancellations due to chronic conditions may not meet the criteria of becoming ill.

Camp fee payments occur in three steps:

  1. A deposit of $10.00 per Scout is paid to secure a reservation.
  2. A commitment payment of $65.00 per Scout ($15 for day camps), is made by March 1st, to continue to hold the reservation. Units that do not make this payment risk losing their reservation.
  3. To qualify for the Early Bird free shirt incentive, pay the balance by May 1st, or if not taking advantage of the Early Bird free shirt incentive, the balance must be paid in full by June 1st.

TIP: Do not commit the unit treasury; get commitment fees from parents. Units sometimes decrease camper numbers and then find their unit treasury at a loss for the dropped Scouts’ fees. Avoid this situation by requiring parents to pay the commitment payment up front. Then, if that family drops out, the unit is not at a loss. This is a family commitment payment: the family has made a financial commitment to camp and is less likely to drop out. When families drop out without being financially committed, the unit is, in essence, financing their decision to drop.

You may email refund requests to 492.camping@scouting.org, up to two weeks prior to camp. Please include the reservation number, unit number, camp, session, name of Scout(s), and reason(s) for absence. If requesting a refund within two weeks of camp, please submit a Refund Request Form to the business manager upon arrival at camp. List the specific reason each Scout was unable to attend.

All refund requests will be considered in compliance with the Boy Scouts of America, Cascade Pacific Council refund policy.

All refunds are mailed to the currently registered Unit Committee Chair. Refunds are not made to individual families. Camp refunds are combined with other refunds due the unit, minus any outstanding unit debts to the council, into one check or invoice. Refunds are mailed in October.

Scouts in need may apply for financial assistance by submitting an Opportunity Fund Application. Camperships are funded by donations specifically for camperships and are limited to youth members of Cascade Pacific Council. Funds are only available while supplies last. Applications for Opportunity Funds can be submitted as early as January 1st but must be received no later than May 1st.

Adults pay a registration fee to attend resident camp. There is no fee for adults registering to attend day camp.

Adult fees cover food, utilities, and other expenses and are to be paid by all adults staying overnight, with the exception of subsidized “free adults” which is calculated based on the number of Scouts attending. Pre-paid adult fees are fully refundable. Adult fees may be paid upon arrival at camp.

  • Butte Creek: $75.00 per adult (1-6 Scouts=1 free adult; 7-12 Scouts=2 free adults; 13 or more Scouts=3 free adults) ($25.00/day pro-rated)
  • Camp Clark: $155.00 per adult attending a 6-day session, or $75.00 per adult for a 3-day session. (1-6 Scouts= 1 free adult; 7-12 Scouts=2 free adults; 13 or more Scouts=3 free adults) ($25.00/day pro-rated)
  • Scouts BSA Summer Camp: $155.00 per adult (1 free adult for every 8 scouts with a maximum of 3 free adults) ($25.00/day pro-rated)

*Additional adults, while welcome, do take up space that could otherwise be occupied by youth Scouts. Although there is no set limit on adults, units are encouraged to bring only the recommended number.

Day visitor meal fees (for visitors not staying overnight) are $5.00 for breakfast, $6.00 for lunch, and $7.00 for dinner. Please plan to pay visitor meal fees upon arrival.

Units that pay fees for all reserved Scouts in full by May 1st get a free camp shirt for each reserved and paid Scout, provided they order online by June 1st. Those who do not qualify will not receive a free shirt, but may purchase one by visiting the online pre-order store (www.cpcbsa.org/preorder) or at the camp trading post. The online store will not be available until May 1st.

FAQs – General

If you’re ready to sign up your pack or troop for a Cascade Pacific Council BSA summer camp, you may click here to be taken to the online registration page.

  1. Decide on which camp (see camp options)
  2. Determine which session
  3. Know how many boys and girls from your troop or pack will be attending
  4. Know how many adults will be attending
  5. Complete the registration using our online portal – Tentaroo
    If you need help completing the online registration process, access this helpful step-by-step registration guide.  

Day Camps: You will be asked to pay a $10.00 per Scout placeholder deposit. After March 1st, the deposit is $10.00 plus the $15.00 per Scout commitment payment in accordance with the payment schedule.

Resident Camps: You will be asked to pay a $10.00 per Scout placeholder deposit. After March 1st, the deposit is $10.00 plus the $65.00 per Scout commitment payment in accordance with the payment schedule.  Although adult deposits are not required for reservation, accurate adult numbers helps camps to plan for the upcoming season.  Please do your best to provide to most accurate adult numbers possible when making a reservation.

Changes must be made to your reservation prior to May 1st by calling the Camping Department at the Cascade Pacific Council office in Portland or by emailing 492.camping@scouting.org.  You will need to include your unit number, reservation number, changes requesting, name of person requesting the changes, and a phone number. After May 1st, it is necessary to have changes in writing to ensure that your reservation is correct.

A minimum of two adults per unit must attend camp to provide leadership, supervision, and coaching for Scouts (required by Youth Protection policies).

  • For Cub Scout Day Camps: The recommended ratio at camp is one adult per four Cub Scouts (while maintaining the minimum two adults).
  • For Cub Scout Resident Camps: The recommended ratio at camp is one adult per six Cub Scouts (while maintaining the minimum two adults).
  • For Scouts BSA Camps: The recommended ratio at camp is one adult per eight Scouts (while maintaining the minimum two adults).

At least one adult must be a registered leader.

Units that cannot fill the two-adult minimum are advised to pair up with another unit from their district (each unit must maintain its own reservation). Camps cannot assume responsibility for organizing minimum leadership; this is a unit responsibility.

Although you can make a campsite request, it is not possible to guarantee a specific site. Please note your site preference when you make your reservation. Your camp director will do their best to meet your request.

Campsites are assigned the day before you arrive, based on order of reservation and actual attendance to best serve all campers. Campsite assignments are made at camp; the Scout Office will not know your site.

Units are welcome to share campsites. Please note that units MUST make separate reservations and will need to specify the unit number of the unit they want to share a site with when making the reservation.

Yes, daytime guests are welcome to visit camp. Please ask them to check in at the camp office and pay for meals they consume while visiting.

Camp is restricted to registered Scouts of the participating units only. National standards do not allow siblings or non-registered youths to stay in camp. They may make a daytime visit, but they may not stay overnight.

There are however opportunities to visit CPC camp properties as a family. Watch for registration to open for Labor Day and Memorial Day Family Camps – siblings are welcome!

Some day camps offer daycare in the form of a “Tot Lot” or “Junior Camper” program. These are intended for siblings of parents that are volunteering to be at camp with their Scout and have no other resources available. The leader guide for each individual camp will give you more details on the program and how to register.

Individual Scouts may join another unit for the camp session, but they MUST make a separate reservation under their own unit number. Indicate unit numbers on both reservations so the camp can match the Scouts up in the same campsite.

Scout troops traveling more than four hours, or those with religious conflicts may arrive one night early at 6:00pm (or Monday 7:00 am). Early arrivals pay a $25.00 camping fee per troop; no discounts apply. Saturday arrivals are not permitted on Monday-start weeks. Early arrival troops must bring their own food and cooking supplies and have sufficient activities to keep Scouts occupied as all program areas are closed.

Yes. Please arrive at 7:00 am on Monday morning. Email the Camping Department at 492.camping@cpcbsa.org so that a note can be added to your reservation. It is advisable to have Scouts eat breakfast prior to arrival, so they can get to activities quickly once they are at camp.

The schedule is modified to offer all camp tours, swim checks, and move-in activities Monday morning. Camp then goes on as normal. Check the Leader Guide for more details. You may also attend pre-camp meetings to get more information directly from the camp director.

The camp can make minor substitutions, but is unable to completely re-work the menu for severe food allergies. In these cases, it is best to bring supplemental food items. Menus are posted online by May so you can review them before you leave for camp.  Note that these menus are subject to change without notice. Please submit a Special Needs form so the camp can anticipate your needs. Many times you may have a chance to talk to the camp director or cook directly to help clarify your needs.

Generally, low sugar substitutes for diabetic persons are available at each camp. Please submit a Special Needs form so the camp may anticipate your need.

Packing lists are available on the resources section of the website to help you prepare for camp. You’re also encouraged to attend a pre-camp meeting for your respective camp to ask questions and get the latest information.

Most resident camps have tents of canvas over wooden platform floors. Camp Meriwether, Butte Creek and Clark offer many campsites that include “mini-dacs,” which are wooden-walled platforms with a metal roof (same footprint as the canvas tent platforms). Meriwether also has a few “Adirondack” sites, which are three-sided cabins with bunks.  Canvas tents and minidacks sleep two people while adirondacks range from four to ten.

Yes. Please use cell phones away from Scouts to prevent homesickness issues. Not all camps have cell service; most have spotty coverage at best.

Smoking is not permitted in camp buildings, campsites or anywhere visible to youth. Each camp has a designated smoking area, often in the camp parking lot.

It is the policy of the Boy Scouts of America that the possession or consumption of alcohol, the possession or use of controlled substances, including marijuana, and/or being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances are not permitted on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving the participation of youth members.

No. Alcohol is not permitted at any time on any Scout property.

It is the policy of the Boy Scouts of America that the possession or consumption of alcohol, the possession or use of controlled substances, including marijuana, and/or being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances are not permitted on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving the participation of youth members.

No.  National standards do not allow personal weapons of any kind at camp (including archery). Weapons are also not allowed to be stored in vehicles on property.

Yes. Each unit must have insurance. Please indicate your policy number on the reservation form. All Cascade Pacific Council units are included in the council-provided accident insurance (LDS units have church insurance).

Some resident camps do permit one vehicle to drop gear at the trail head to campsites on opening day. This occurs during specific times, so please ask your camp director about vehicle use in each camp. A good time to get all your questions asked is at the Pre-Camp Meeting, where you will have a chance to meet with your camp director in person.

Access varies from camp to camp. Please submit a Special Needs Form to let your camp director know about access needs.

No. ATVs are not permitted on Cascade Pacific Council property.

Yes! Camp directors would like to meet with you in June at the Pre-Camp Meeting to answer questions and share information that will enhance your camp experience. The Leader Guide will answer some general camp information, but the camp directors will be able to answer more camp-specific questions and provide updates on new changes at camp.

Maps and driving directions for each camp are located at the bottom of each camp property’s web page.

Yes. A discounted pre-order for shirts and hats will made available after May 1. Details will be shared xxxx.

Yes. Scouts love receiving mail! Addresses are printed in the Leader Guides and are also found on each camp’s respective web page.  Please make sure to include the Scout’s name, unit number, and week that they will be at camp.  It is suggested to send things early to ensure delivery.

The Cascade Pacific Council will adhere to the following policy regarding lodging for girls and boys at our camps for the summer of 2019.

CPC will accommodate linked Scouts BSA troops who wish to share resources by staying in the same campsite. All units attending camps should understand that the constraints of our facilities, the needs of other units, and the capacity of staff may result in needed dialogue and compromise.  We look forward to providing our Scouts and Scout leaders a quality summer camp experience and will do our best to meet the needs of each unit attending our camps.

Significant liability risks, sanitation, and negative interactions with wildlife, along with the allergies or phobias of other campers all generally make Scout camp an inappropriate place for domestic animals. Any exceptions must be pre-approved by Council Headquarters using the Special Needs form and accompanied by documentation describing the specialized tasks the animal has been specifically trained to do.

Pets: No participants or visitors may bring pets of any kind to camp, including dogs of any size, leashed or not. On occasion and with prearranged permission from the council office, permanent or resident staff may be allowed to have their pet confined to non-program areas and otherwise leashed.

 Service Animals are dogs, miniature horses, and pigs trained to do specific tasks that their owners cannot do for themselves. When service animals are allowed, they must always remain leashed and wear identifying gear. Unless necessary, they will not be allowed in food preparation or serving areas. Their sanitation must be provided by the owner or troop.

 Support Animals and Therapy Animals: “A “comfort” or “emotional support” animal, or one that provides aid without performing a specific task or duty, means that it does not meet the definition of service animal. If the animal is not individually trained to do work or perform a task, it is considered a pet under the ADA. Obedience training alone is not a sufficient qualification to make a service animal.” (Disability Rights Oregon, 2019). To ensure the safety of campers and staff, in all but the most extreme circumstances even with documentation, and then only with pre-approval, support, comfort, and therapy animals will not be allowed in camp.

Ref: https://droregon.org/topics/service-animals/

Updated 6/2019

Still have questions? We’ll find the answer for you. Contact us at info@cpcbsa.org.